Department of Community Development

Permits are required for the following types of work in the City of Frostburg:


New Construction, including sheds and garages

* All new single and two-family construction in the City of Frostburg is required to be sprinklered in accordance with  Maryland Building Performance Standards.  The City is offering an incentive for new single and two-family construction which includes a water connection fee rebate of $1,000 and a Real Estate Tax reduction for a three year period, provided the sprinkler system is installed and tested.


Major Renovation (structural changes)




Home Occupations

Business Occupancy



Certificate of Approval for work that alters the exterior of a structure in the Historic District


Burning Permits for the burning of yard material - call the Allegany County Health Department at

(301) 759-5039 - bring a copy of Health Department Permit to City Hall to be issued a Frostburg Burning Permit.  The City of Frostburg Burning Permit is issued free of charge, but is required so that City Police and the Frostburg Fire Department are notified.  Burning permits are not required for small recreational bonfires.


Please call or email Joe Rogers, Community Development Planner for more information regarding the permits required for the work you are planning.  We look forward to working with you on your next project.


Joe Rogers

301-689-6000 ext. 110


Permit Application Forms


Building Permit: for new construction

 - Plan Review Requirements for Residential Construction

 - Inspection Requirements for Residential Construction

General Permit: for home occupations, occupancy, soliciting, accessory structures, grading, fences

Pool Permit: for above ground and in-ground pools

                    (pools with inflatable ring/temporary pools do not generally require a permit)

Sign Permit: for any new sign both for businesses and home occupations

Demolition Permits: for demolition of any structure


Family Childcare Home Permit


Board of Zoning Appeals Permit: to be completed when seeking a variance, special exception, or administrative error request.


Chicken License: required in order to keep chickens in City limits

A Guide to Keeping Chickens in the City of Frostburg


Historic District Certificate of Approval Application: required for work in the Frostburg Historic District


2017-18 Fee Schedule




City of Frostburg | 301-689-6000

59 E. Main Street | PO Box 440 | Frostburg, MD 21532